Movie Review: Split (2017)

Image result for split synopsis



Every since I was a kid, I loved being a potato couch 😆I love lazing around & watching good old movies. I am sure everyone loves that too!!

But lazing around, doesn't mean I stop thinking & enjoy the show. It actually stimulates my mind to think about deep, existential questions about humans, especially English movies! They make really good movies & there is always always a meaningful takeaway from the show. 


So, last two days, I browsed through cyro.se and saw this interesting poster. 


The synopsis of the movie titled Split are as follows: 


Though Kevin (James McAvoy) has evidenced 23 personalities to his trusted psychiatrist, Dr. Fletcher (Betty Buckley), there remains one still submerged who is set to materialize and dominate all of the others. Compelled to abduct three teenage girls led by the willful, observant Casey, Kevin reaches a war for survival among all of those contained within him -- as well as everyone around him -- as the walls between his compartments shatter.


So.. Here is a really honest review about this movie (SPOILER ALERT). 


The movie seems like a really budget movie since most of the scenes are in an underground zoo where Kevin & the three girls live. The acting skills of Kevin, by James McAvoy was phenomenal & spectacular to watch. It's like he literally split into 23 + 1 different, unique personalities. He plays a nine year old boy named Hedwig & that is really cute, then He plays Dennis who has OCD and also Patricia which is a lady! Not forgetting The Beast who is really powerful and evil (in a sense). I mean, seriously, a two thumbs up for James McAvoy in his beautiful display of a person with Disassociative Identity Disorder. 


I am also amazed at the belief of Dr Fletcher. Instead of viewing her patients in an abnormal way, she believes them to be unleashing human's potential through the use of brain waves in developing different identities. The traditional approach of viewing patients are that they are vile and stigmatized by society while little empathy & lots of prejudice and discrimination from the people around them. 


One thing that I do not agree is the fact that Dr Fletcher already knew something was wrong with Kevin & hesitated to do something about it. She even went to his place to check it which is actually not that appropriate lah. But, it's a drama la kan? :D


And the last part that I do not agree is the 24th identity which they call the beast -He is really like a beast and developed muscles and supernatural strength that Kevin does not have. He can also climb on walls & cannot die. Ok this is seriously not true in the psychology world. Please note ya :D


The part where I really like is how Casey reacted to the whole situation, she is calm & collected. The movie doesn't reveal much about Casey's life but we know that she is abused by her uncle and has scars in her body. 


This movie gave me a new favourite quote where Kevin (The Beast) said to Casey, you are the impure (meaning = have suffered like he did which is abuse). rejoice! The broken are always the more evolved! And then Kevin spared Casey while the two other girls were eaten. 



Image result for the broken are the more evolved

Okay, so I am going to side-track a bit from here. Because this is really something important to talk about. 

What I put in my blog is for everyone to read. Someone asked me about my recent blog post & started to make assumptions about me. The reason why I wrote the post is because I have come to accept who I am & what is my past. The past does not necessarily affect the present & the future. I do not wish anyone's sympathy. I put myself out there for people who are ashamed of their past. They are ashamed as they are stigmatized by society who has FULL of misconceptions & unguided assumptions about them. This is mainly due to the reactions of the people around them.

 Psychology is NOT that easy. You can try to understand me, but you won't get that far if you are already bias. 

So, if you really do have to ask me, limit yourself to only ONE question okay? :D 

Anyways, I really like the quote as it's purpose is to empower clients & patients alike. Not many people have experiences like I do or Casey or Kevin in the story, so it's refreshing. Plus, I sense that the idea of 'empowerment' is from the evolutionary psychology theories which revolves around survival and natural selection. It also means that people adapt to their situations in order to survive (this is of course a simplified, laymen definition of evolutionary psychology theory). 

Perhaps, we are the more evolved -more resilient, more unbreakable & tougher than others. 

Tell me what you think. <3 p="">




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hubby's victory night: Majlis Makan Malam Regimental Sempena Pentauliahan Diraja Palapes Darat kali ke 34

Respect begets respect ~

Tips masuk UIA